It’s no secret that Amazon is very competitive. With over 350 million products on Amazon’s website, sellers have to find ways to stand out from the competition. One way to catch a customer’s eye is by advertising your products, but regardless of how you get customers to your product page, there’s no substitute for optimized product listings.
This week, we sat down with Jeff Liber from TurnKey to find out the best way to improve your product listings and boost your conversion rates.
Why Listing Optimization Matters
When looking at ranking your products organically, you have to understand how Amazon decides which products are shown in the top spots for a given search term.
Amazon’s new A10 algorithm ranks products on a variety of factors, but one of the most important is conversion rate. If you have a product that converts highly, Amazon is incentivized to promote that product because it results in more commission.
Organic sales are the holy grail of Amazon. Why? Because you make more money from organic sales. Pretty simple. However, you can’t reach the top spots, or even the first page, of an Amazon SERP (Search engine results page) with a low conversion rate.
The Importance of Listings When Using Amazon PPC
If you’ve got your sights set a little lower and you’re paying to get your products to the top of a SERP, then listing optimization is still crucial to success.
You can be the greatest Amazon PPC guru to have ever lived, and if your product listing stinks your performance will still be lackluster.
Perfecting Your Amazon Product Listings
First off, get on Amazon’s Brand Registry. It’s around $500, but it’s well worth it to protect your brand and open up new opportunities.
One thing that is missing from many listings is a high-quality video. Many sellers don’t even know that videos can be added to their product listings!
There are many advantages to adding videos. First, videos can be put in multiple places on a listing. This customization and differentiation boosts conversion rate. Second, videos are becoming more prevalent for Amazon PPC. This is most prevalent for Sponsored Brand ads.
From Jeff’s experience, he took a video that cost him $3,500 and was able to use it to generate over $1 million in revenue from a single product.
Keyword and Image Optimization
We’ve talked a lot about keywords in product listings, but one important point to reiterate is that keyword stuffing will kill your rank. Amazon’s algorithm is smart, and just because the product title is where the “most relevant” keywords are found doesn’t mean you should try to fit unnecessary keywords into your title.
When it comes to images, get creative. There are specialists out there who produce infographics and Amazon-specific product photos. If you aren’t creatively inclined, you should definitely look into these options because images are so important.
With A+ Content, strong visuals are a must. Adding infographics and lifestyle images are incredibly important when trying to maximize conversion rate.
Notice how this image conveys much more than just the nitty gritty details of the product. It shows the advantages of the product and how it can fit into your life. Subconsciously, users will hopefully see themselves as the person using the product.
In the same way, text overlays and infographics are incredibly effective at conveying the unique aspects or advantages of your product. When looking at what draws someone’s attention on Amazon, potential customers are much more likely to look at your images rather than your bulleted text.
Testing Your Product Listings and Prices
We’ve outlined a lot of potential changes to your product listings. However, without testing the impact of these changes, you’re just shooting in the dark. Along with testing the changes to your product listings, you should also test out your price point.
Oftentimes, there isn’t a huge difference in conversion rate between a product selling for $18.50 and $19.99. While your conversion rate may dip a small amount, the increase you see in revenue may outweigh that drop in conversion rate.
When asking clients when they last changed their prices, the answer is usually never. This is shocking, but it shows a tremendous opportunity for improvement. To keep it simple, tweak the price of your product and see what happens. If worst comes to worst, you can always go back to your original price point.
If there’s one area where all Amazon sellers can improve, it’s product listings. Whether you’re primarily focusing on PPC or organic sales, having an optimized product listing is the best way to boost your conversion rate.
Utilizing videos, high-quality images, and relevant keywords can make all the difference. If you want to make a quick change after reading this blog, try increasing your price and see what kind of effect it has on your conversion rate and revenue. Keep in mind that with all of these changes, whether it’s your listings or your price point, you should be testing!
Discover Us on our PPC Den Podcast
If you enjoy supplementing your long reads with audio, we cover this topic on our podcast as well.
Listen to it in the episode below or find us on your favorite streaming platform, like Apple, Google, Spotify, and more!
- 1:10 Intro
- 7:15 Why listing optimization matters
- 12:15 Product listing checklist
- 20:20 Product listings and keywords
- 23:04 Images for listings
- 30:00 Product listings on mobile devices
- 32:20 Testing your listings and prices
- 38:20 Closing thoughts
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective Amazon PPC-ers
- Ad Badger and ZonGuru: Boost Your SEO with High Value Keywords
- Answered Prayers: Negative ASIN Targeting Comes to Auto Campaigns
- Much Ado About Budgets
- How to Get Over 100% Conversion Rates on Sponsored Display Ads
- New Launch Strategy for New Products: Skip the Auto?
- Amazon PPC Data Trends to Shape Your 2020 Strategy
- How Does Amazon PPC Work With Misspellings?
- Following Amazon’s Suggestions? The Mysterious “Suggested Bid”
- Negative ASIN in Amazon PPC Auto Campaigns: Is it Possible (Part 2)
- Negative ASIN in Amazon PPC Auto Campaigns: Is it Possible (Part 1)
- When You Should DIY Your PPC (and When You Shouldn’t)
- An Introduction to Targeting Options on the Amazon DSP
- Optimizing on a Hunch
- 5 Things You Don’t Know About Product Targeting
- Amazon PPC Stats During COVID-19| April 2020
- Sponsored Brand Ads Update: Now You Can Edit Creatives
- Amazon PPC Stats During COVID-19
- Seller Central Campaign Manager is Moving to Amazon Ad Console in 2020
- Taking Your Amazon Products & Campaigns Global: A Primer
- Best Practices for Selling on Amazon During COVID-19
- Principles and Mindset for Amazon Marketers During Coronavirus
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) and Your Amazon PPC Campaigns
- Incorporate “Adjust Bids by Placement” into Your Keyword Bids (Part 2): Multi-Keyword Campaigns
- Incorporate “Adjust Bids by Placement” into Your Keyword Bids (Part 1): Single Keyword Campaigns
- Grow Your Amazon Campaigns with Demographics Data
- What Consumer Behavior Says About You: Amazon Brand Analytics
- How to Raise Lifetime Value with Market Basket Report
- Search Frequency Rank: How to Identify Most Important Keywords
- Long Tail Search Terms: Amazon PPC Silent Killer
- 7 Tips to Get More Clicks on Amazon Ads
- LIVE Amazon PPC Campaign Audit
- Amazon PPC Keyword Research in 2020: RPSB Revisited
- Our Top Predictions for Amazon PPC in 2020
- 7 Bad PPC Habits to Kick in 2020 (And 3 Good Ones to Start)
- The PPC Tasks We Put on Our Project Management Tools
- A Data- Oriented Approach to Advertising in December
- The Wait is Over… Search Term Reports for Sponsored Brand Ads are Here
- What to Do When It’s Time to Sell Your Amazon Business with Coran Woodmass
- Ramping Up for Cyber Monday and Black Friday with Data-Driven PPC Strategies
- Amazon PPC Campaign Structure: 6 Layers of Complexity
- Amazon PPC Today vs. Yesterday: What’s Changed, What Hasn’t
- Make Your Best Keywords Better with Single Keyword Campaigns
- 6 Levels of Amazon PPC Mastery
- How to Advertise Commodity and Unique Products with Lukas Matthews
- Amazon SEO – Bridging the Gap with PPC
- Amazon’s New Sponsored Display Ads (Beta)
- Listener Q&A: Optimizing Placement Settings
- The Problem With Optimizing Low-Converting Products (And How to Solve It)
- 4 Reasons Why Lowering Your Bids Won’t Always Lower your ACOS
- What to Expect From 30 Days of Running Amazon Ads
- Should You Segment Your Branded Keywords in Amazon Ads?
- Promoting your Products with Amazon Coupons
- Three Effective Ways to Optimize Amazon PPC Bids
- 4 Things Amazon Does Better than Google and Facebook
- Amazon DSP with Kiri Masters
- Increase Conversion Rates for Sponsored Brand Ads
- Clickfraud, Who to Hire, and More Common Amazon PPC Questions
- A Data-Driven Approach to Prime Day PPC
- Improving Your Account With Amazon Reports
- The Complete Guide to Self-Auditing Your Campaigns
- A Round-Table Discussion About Placement Settings
- My 5 Predictions for the Future of Amazon PPC
- The Importance of Indexation for Amazon PPC
- Click Through Rate (CTR) Rundown
- An Introduction To Bulk File Operations
- The Latest Sponsored Brand Ad Updates
- Defining Your PPC Goals & Setting ACOS Targets
- Making Sense of New to Brand Metrics
- Should You Bid on Competitors’ Branded Keywords
- Our Gripes About Amazon Sponsored Brand Ads
- Amazon Advertising Launch Strategy for New Products
- The Ultimate Amazon PPC Roadmap
- How to Scale Using PPC – A Case Study
- The Star-Crossed Lovers (Organic & Paid Traffic)
- Cranking Up Conversion Rates
- All Things Negative Keywords
- The Dreaded Amazon Data Reporting Delay
- What We Love About Amazon PPC
- First Look on New Bid Options in Amazon
- Dissenting Thoughts on PPC Budgets
- The Strangest, Most Popular PPC Strategy: The Keyword Dump
- Product Targeting – Into the Great Unknown
- Campaign Naming Systems
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to Sponsored Products (Part 2)
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to Sponsored Products (Part 1)
- Amazon PPC Advertising Stats
- The Advanced Basics of Amazon PPC
- Amazon’s New Product Targeting Features
- The Bid+ Conundrum
- Why We’re Living In The Golden Age of Amazon PPC
Watch Mike & Stephen on YouTube
If you enjoy supplementing your long reads with video, well, hot diggity dog, you’re in luck! We cover this topic on our YouTube channel too.
Watch it below and please don’t forget to ‘like’ and subscribe.